On the site of a birch grove between Quarterly and Sovetskaya streets (now Akademika Maslova), before the war, there was the largest light industry enterprise not only in Ukraine but in the entire Soviet Union – the Kremenchuk cloth factory. Laid down on May 1, 1928, it was built so rapidly that only 2 years later it already produced its first production. The design capacity of the 1st stage of the factory was 900 thousand meters of cloth per year. In 1934-1935, the 2nd stage of the factory was built, which made it possible to increase the output in 1936 to 2 million 750 thousand meters of coat and suit cloth. During the war, the cloth factory was completely destroyed.
In 1947, a project was drawn up to restore it to its original location, but it was not implemented. Temporarily, the “cloth”, as it was called, was located after the war in the adapted premises of the former tobacco factory of M. Volodarsky, and after its closure, the production facilities were transferred to the knitting factory. Once upon a time here, between the territory of a modern knitting factory and a former cloth factory, Dull Sandy Street began. Now its source is lost among the dense plantings of the Jubilee Park.
Author: A. Lushakova