In the block between Krivogryaznaya, Meshchanskaya, Priyutskaya and Boulevard in 1887, the Sandomirsky and Rabinovich Partnership built a tobacco and shag factory. In 1906, the “Partnership…” disintegrated and Rabinovich in its place founded his own enterprise, “Samokat”. It was an entire tobacco empire behind a high fence with its own warehouses and buildings. Its center was the owner’s house, facing Meshchanskaya Street (this house is shown in the photo). Now this building is taken under state protection as an architectural monument of the 19th-20th centuries.